Friday, June 22, 2018

Things I Like: Part 1

In this series, I will recommend things that I happened to come across that I like.  That's about as simple as it gets.  While this sounds frivolous, I will focus on recommending things that I think will be informative and edifying to people.

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Leah Remini is an actress that you may recognize in shows like King of Queens and others.  She was a long-time scientologist, but left the religion several years ago.  In this docuseries on Hulu, she interviews many people who have left scientology, exposing the abuses of the church and the controlling nature of the beliefs and structure of the church.  It is also an interesting look at the practices of scientology and how cults work.

Social Justice in Video Games

Troy Leavitt, a former video game developer, has an interesting series responding to a controversial feminist in video game culture named Anita Sarkeesian.  He has a series of videos responding to her claims that there is rampant sexism in the video game industry and criticizing the worldview and premises she holds that lead her to make the claims she makes.  Part one of his series can be found here.

Philip DeFranco

Philip DeFranco is a Youtuber who releases new 15-18 minute videos every weekday giving the news.  He covers anything from news regarding Youtube and youtubers to important world events and world politics.  He is a very fair and balanced person, he makes it known when he is giving the facts and when he is giving his opinion and he is often quick to correct himself if he makes a mistake.  I recommend him as an alternative news source.

I like these things and I hope you do too.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment